Friday, July 12, 2013

Pavilion Project: Part IV

















Here you see the current state of decoration: horizontal bands at the the top and bottom of the valance, and engrailed decoration at the lower edge of the roof.

For the latter I cut a compass-based template, used it to draft pencil lines, and painted to the lines with a brush.

I had originally hoped to make more use of stencils. You may be able to see that not only is none of the fabric remotely flat, but sewing it together creates puckers of immense complexity.

At the lower edge of the valance I was able to use masking tape to create a clean line. At the upper, I could not. The best I could do was try to mask the border between the valance and roof as an unreliable backstop for brushstrokes that  landed too high

No comments: