Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Cleaning Armor

Klingspor’s Sandflex® Blocks are useful tools for quickly removing rust. Made of some sort of rubbery, eraser-like material impregnated with abrasive, they come in fine, medium and coarse. Most of my current armor is not a mirror finish, but the finish is fine enough that it will show scratches from a Scotch-Brite scouring pad. By ending with the fine block I can remove rust without marring the finish. I also use them to remove rust from sword and dagger hilts. The blocks are also useful for removing corrosion from copper alloy fittings and returning them to a bright finish.

You can read more here.

You can save yourself a lot of later trouble by removing rust before the metal becomes pitted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, Will. I'm going to order some of these. I just got a Nuremberg armet that I want to keep in good shape.

Anonymous said...

I believe these are also sold under the name "Rust Eraser" although I'm not sure if they offer all grits. I have used them before and love them.

Sean